Wednesday 12 October 2011

MY OWN QUOTES ON KNOWLEDGE (Vol 1)

Without me realizing it, I have quite a number of own quotes on knowledge set as my FB (Facebook) Status; collecting them only means another good material (I hope) for this blog. Happy reading.

INTELLECTUAL DIET
In FEM class just now, I told my students that FEM is nothing but another tool to solve differential equations. So its the differential equations and not the FEM that makes all the differences in this word. But while the rest of the world 'eat' and 'drink' differential equations, we Malaysian skip it as part of our all-gone-pear-shaped intellectual 'diet'. No wonder things are turning upside down

PRINCETON'S GHOST

It should not be at all quiet, this world called ACADEMIA. Not at all as to what I am in at this moment. This world ACADEMIA, as far as I know, should be vibrant, dynamic, in turmoil, loud, energetic, happening, etc. It should be filled with dramas and plays where the actors and actresses perform their intellectual performances by debating and defending their ideas, notions and equations and where successes and failures are to be equally celebrated; as ‘Noble Laureate’ at best and as ‘Princeton’s Ghost’ at worst. But I am not living it, not HERE for sure.


THE MORE I KNOW THE LESS I KNEW


Someone asked me what I meant by, when I wrote in my blog, "the more I know the less I knew". It means that every time I know something new, I realize that what I already know is not as much as I previously thought. In other words, I think I know so much until I know something else. Knowing this, it is quite hard for me to be definitive in anything except for some few cases which are too obvious like siding with the government the next time around.

LEARNING LANGUAGES


I told my daughter Hasya last night that "The best way for you to learn any languages is to allow people to correct it because languages are not like maths or physics where you can learn how to get it right or learn why you got it wrong. So start talking and writing, for then I can correct yours and that is how you learn your languages.."

MALAY GENIUSES


A friend just asked me, who do I think are the best living Malay geniuses? I would say Dr Mahathir and Malique Too-phat.

CONFUSED


I am myself confused. Either righteous and falseness have a very thin line separating them OR the border is too wide for them not to intermingle and overlap, but one thing is for sure; there is no a sure thing anymore.

MY ENGINEERING JOKE 1


Psychologist: what u gonna do about the potential?
Engineers: Hmm…minimize them (referring to the minimum principle of potential energy)
Psychologist: Ha?


MEASURE OF SMARTNESS


I say the measure of smartness of a society is represented by the rate of coming to an agreement; the smarter they are, the quicker they agree. What say you?

I HAVE VOWED TO FIGHT

In the UK, almost every single cars at the carboots sale sells a pile of book from various genres only to prove that these people have their own study at home and at the office and that they do read thus do know things. Until this is the case for you, believe me, no matter how smart you think you are, it is still far from sufficient. So shut up and listen for I have vowed to fight!

No comments: